Culture is not drinks on a Friday night. It’s how we treat each other every day. – Nalani Genser
Nalani Genser is deeply passionate about building and shaping experiences that infiltrate and affect our daily lives, particularly the relationship between our experience at work and our well-being as individuals.
With extensive experience in consulting, business strategy, and experience design Nalani brings a people-first lens to building and scaling teams and organizations that push themselves to constantly refine and evolve.
Currently, Nalani is Director of People Experience at Mavrck, a Boston-based influencer marketing start-up. Her work at Mavrck covers the entire employee journey – from cultivating values alignment, to recruiting and onboarding experiences, to coaching, to overseeing Mavrck’s offices and IT systems and beyond.
If something touches a squad members’ experience before, during, or after working at Mavrck, she probably has a hand in it. When not thinking about well-being in the workplace, you might find Nalani learning how to bake, taking a boxing class, or getting crafty with a hands-on project.
On this episode Stacey and Nalani talk about…
- What Nalani wanted to be when she grew up and how that plays out in her work today (1:00)
- The importance of experiential learning versus more formal education (5:30)
- How she got into people operations and workplace culture (9:40)
- Challenges she’s faced in creating her role and a positive workplace culture (12:30)
- The importance of Connection and values at work (17:50)
- How Nalani became interested in the intersection of work and well-being (Hint: It’s personal) (26:20)
- What’s next in the field of culture and people operations (33:35)
- Biggest lesson Nalani has learned on her career journey (39:00)