Relationships fuel this week’s guest, Martine Taylor, Executive Director of South Shore Habitat for Humanity based in Weymouth, Massachusetts.
Prior to Habitat, Martine worked with Project Hope in Boston, served as Executive Director for Rebuilding Together Boston, and Director of Strategic Development for Richard White Sons in Newton.
Her specialties? Relationship management and fundraising, strategic planning and organizational development.
Martine earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Family Studies, with a concentration in Family Relations from the University of New Hampshire.
In addition to work, Martine is active in her community. She has served as the Director of the Christian Youth Conference in Ocean Park, ME, was the former Director of the Massachusetts Youth Leader Core, a state-wide youth development program for high school youth, is Chair of the Religious and Cultural Committee of the Ocean Park Association and serves as the Chair of the South Shore Chamber of Commerce Non-Profit Group.
When she has spare time, she enjoys spending time in Maine with her yellow lab, Marley.
On this episode Stacey and Martine talk about…
- What Martine wanted to be when she grew up and how that plays out in her work today (:45)
- The fuel for her work: Relationships & passion (4:55)
- Being an outgoing leader and the importance of hearing all voices (6:10)
- Comfort zones and stepping out of them! (8:40)
- Her path to South Shore Habitat for Humanity and handling resistance (10:20)
- Importance of Sunday Dinner and her passion for housing (10:20)
- What it means to be a leader and how she got here (20:10)
- Martine’s biggest leadership lessons (24:45)
- Saying no, boundaries and finding time for quiet (28:25)
- How Habitat is evolving with the times and claiming it’s seat at the table (31:30)
- Working at a non-profit is tough! And what keeps Martine going (39:00)
Showing up when you’re not in a good space is not good for your team. – Martine Taylor
Enjoy this episode of Engaging Voices? Visit engagetheroom.com/podcast or click here to sign up and get notified of new episodes by email.