009: Michael Katz: Marketing and the Solo Professional Life
Being a solo professional isn’t for everyone. Michael Katz, founder of Blue Penguin Development has been a solo professional for almost 20 years. On today’s episode we talk about the ups and downs of the solo life and why it’s one of the most rewarding choices one can make.
This Weeks Engaging Voice:
Founder, Blue Penguin Development
An award-winning humorist and former corporate marketer, Blue Penguin founder and Chief Penguin, Michael Katz, specializes in helping professional service firms and solos develop effective email newsletters.
He is the author of four books, and has published more than 450 issues of “The Likeable Expert Gazette,” a twice-monthly email newsletter and podcast with 6,000 passionate subscribers in over 40 countries around the world.
Michael has an MBA from Boston University and a BA in Psychology from McGill University in Montreal.
On this episode Stacey and Michael talk about…
- As a young boy, what he wanted to be when he grew up (1:20)
- How he started writing newsletters (3:15)
- His a-ha about the importance of email newsletters (6:00)
- The importance of believing “You’re good enough” (10:05)
- Insights on naming a business/brand (13:35)
- Likeability, stories and being quirky (16:30)
- Biggest challenge as a solo professional (25:45)
- Importance of having a niche (27:00)
- Most fulfilling part of solopreneurship (32:05)
- Importance of having support at home (33:00)
- Final insights (37:40)
Let your personality shine at one of our events.
Networking, learning, meaningful conversations. Shed the formality at one of our upcoming networking or educational events.
About the Shed The Formality Podcast
A podcast for the corporately trained, analytically minded, high achieving business owner who is great at what they do yet feel uneasy putting themselves out there.
Stacey Shipman and her guests talk about the beliefs and behaviors they needed to drop in order to feel more comfortable speaking, selling, networking and self-promoting.
They also discuss strategies to stay grounded, focused and committed to your vision when the going gets tough.
Tune in every Sunday for new episodes on Stitcher, Spotify, Apple or Google Podcasts.