013: Marcia Mantell – Women, Money & Retirement
Marcia Mantell of Mantell Retirement Consulting is on a mission to get more women talking about money so they can have stress free retirements. Tune in to hear Marcia share anecdotes from her own conversations about retirement as well as the challenges she faced building her own brand after working for a large organization.
For more than 25 years, Marcia Mantell has helped the country’s foremost financial services firms and advisors increase their knowledge of complex retirement concepts and regulations. She has a remarkable ability to translate those concepts into everyday language that educates and motivates real people to take the right steps to achieve the retirement they desire.
As the President of Mantell Retirement Consulting, Inc. (founded in 2005) she partners with financial institutions in the U.S. and Canada to help support the customers they serve across the retirement spectrum—from a focus on saving, to the transition into retirement, and then, how to organize and manage income to last a lifetime.
Her first book, What’s the Deal With®…Retirement Planning for Women, a treasure trove of practical retirement information, was well-received by advisor and consumer press.
Keeping pace with today’s social world, Marcia’s blog, BoomerRetirementBriefs.com, showcases a light-hearted, but thought-provoking look at how Baby Boomers are reshaping and reinventing retirement.
On this episode Stacey and Marcia talk about…
- What Marcia wanted to be when she grew up (1:35)
- How she ended up on the marketing side of retirement planning and what she does today (4:35)
- How she makes complex ideas simple using metaphors (7:40)
- Marcia’s mission (10:25)
- How traditional male/female roles play out in money conversations (12:10)
- Where does the discomfort around money come from? (15:35)
- What women can do to feel more comfortable and how men fit in the conversation (19:45)
- Biggest challenges Marcia faced building her own brand/business (23:05)
- Biggest challenges in educating women about money and retirement (26:35)
- What’s next for Marcia (30:30)
- Most important first step to take as you start thinking about retirement (33:50)
Let your personality shine at one of our events.
Networking, learning, meaningful conversations. Shed the formality at one of our upcoming networking or educational events.
About the Shed The Formality Podcast
Tired of formal protocols stifling your personality and ideas?
Welcome to Shed The Formality, a podcast for smart, thoughtful, accomplished, driven business leaders and entrepreneurs who, for one reason or another, struggle with putting themselves out there.
Each week Stacey Shipman and her guests share their sometimes heart breaking, sometimes humorous, always honest stories about what it takes to more easily advocate for yourself, grow your professional network, step into leadership, stay committed to your work when the going gets tough, and so much more. All while staying true to who you are.
Ready to drop what’s holding you back? Tune in every Sunday for insights and inspiration on how to come out of hiding and become the entrepreneur you set out to be.
Tune in every Sunday for new episodes on Stitcher, Spotify, Apple or online at shedtheformality.com.