“You get to create the world you want to live in when you start a business.” That (and so much more!) is what Angela Lussier, professional speaker and founder of The Speaker Sisterhood, talks about on this episode of Engaging Voices.
Angela Lussier started off as a self-described “shy girl” and is now an award-winning professional speaker, six-time author, two-time TEDx presenter, and entrepreneur.
After starting a career consulting business in 2009 with no marketing budget, Angela decided to offer free workshops to become known in her field. In her first year of business, she gave hundreds of presentations, published her first book, spoke at TEDx, and started to receive calls from corporations and conferences asking her how much she charged to speak. This launched her into a speaking career she never expected to have.
Today, Angela is the founder of the Speaker Sisterhood, a network of public speaking club for women, and she also hosts Claim the Stage, a public speaking podcast for women. Her motto: Stop waiting. Start creating.
On this episode Stacey and Angela talk about…
- What Angela wanted to be when she grew up and how that plays out in her work today (1:15)
- From marketing to career coaching to public speaking coach – the journey to Speaker Sisterhood (2:45)
- Importance of taking time to get quiet and reflect on what you want (6:15)
- How Angela defines “public speaking” (it may not be what you think) (9:20)
- Men, safe spaces, and a peak inside the Speaker Sisterhood (12:10)
- On where the name Speaker Sisterhood came from (18:35)
- Emotion of starting Speaker Sisterhood, addressing beliefs we have about ourselves and embracing who we are to lead (19:05)
- The ripple effect of public speaking and developing your voice (26:00)
- Lessons learned since launching Speaker Sisterhood (hint: ease, more focus, going deep instead of going wide) (26:40)
- How Angela continues to develop her speaking skills and what she’s working on now (29:30)
- And Stacey was on Angela’s podcast talking about how to engage people! (31:42)
- What’s next for Angela and Speaker Sisterhood (hint: growth and motherhood!) (32:50)
- Angela’s lessons for listeners who have ideas they want to bring to life: Stop Waiting. Start Creating. (37:00)